Wednesday 22 May 2019

It's really happening

By the end of this evening, I should have cut off a lifeline that has kept me, honestly, a little complacent. It isn't that I haven't been pursuing my goals daily, but, I've allowed myself to stay in a pretty perfectionist mindset, prioritising being at least 95% happy with a task before I complete it, rather than focusing on 'good enough' and moving to the next one.

Without this lifeline, there will be more pressure on me to get things done, faster. I think it won't be too much? Balancing the exact amount of eustress I need (over plain old stress) is tricky. See, now I'm just getting perfectionistic about finding the exact amount of pressure I need to work efficiently without my mental health deteriorating, haha...

Pretty happy with how I did last week. It's hard to just say 'I'm happy with it' because I always, always see where I could have done more, and done better. But I gotta remind myself that I was in a very different place a year ago than I am today, and I have come very far from that point. And life will never reach an end point where I am 100% efficient with my time 24/7.

You can only aim to live your life in such a way that the act of living leaves you satisfied with your efforts. There is no end point where you go "ah, I'm now in a state of perfection, and can now do everything I wish with zero emotional/mental/financial/whatever friction". To believe you're perfect is to kill off your ability to grow; because it's guaranteed you are not perfect. Such an absolute doesn't truly exist when it comes to human beings, no matter how we might try and pursue it.

So yeah. I really gotta stop aiming for 'perfect' when that's a false idea to begin with. Honestly, I think the solution is to continue to read more philosophy books. I just read one by Carlo Strenger that has helped me with these thoughts a little (The Fear of Insignificance).

So this one messy human will continue to look for ways to make bigger and more beautiful messes, and try not to sweat the details quite so much............................................................ we'll see how that goes.


No comments:

Post a Comment